Thursday, March 25, 2010

It’s about thyme!


Posted by Lyndi
Unless you have an indoor herb garden that flourishes in the winter or you have an outdoor herb garden in the summer, chances are you have to buy your fresh herbs from the grocery store.
Yes, there are several choices for us here in Northwest Arkansas where we can buy fresh herbs by the pound. Namely, Ozark Natural Foods in Fayetteville, The Pinnacle Station Market in Rogers, and the many wonderful Farmer’s Markets that grace our towns during summertime. Ahhh, I can’t wait.
Our remaining choice? The oh-so-wonderful illustrious plastic clamshell packaged herbs for $2.97 merchandised within the refrigerated produce section at every Walmart, Price Cutter, or Harps stores throughout our region.
Not that there is anything innately wrong with these. But let’s be honest. Almost every thyme package I purchase has at least 1/3rd of the contents already past it’s prime and I rarely get through the package before I have to throw it away. I know, I know, mostly my fault because I should incorporate fresh herbs whenever I can before they get past their prime.
Imagine my surprise and delight last evening when I discovered that Allen’s Food Market in Bella Vista has a new line of fresh herbs in an economical, smaller package for .99c! That’s right! .99c! Let’s say you want to roast a chicken with fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage… the herbs will cost you just $3.00… instead of almost $9.00!
So, if you’re in the Northwest Arkansas area, I encourage you to take the short drive North to Allen’s Food Market in Bella Vista.
It’s about thyme!

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh, I can't wait to pick some up on Monday! I've never cooked with fresh herbs for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

    Thanks,
    Lisa R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LisaR (angelle) - I am SO GLAD to hear you say that! Let me know how it goes and which herb(s) you decided to try! I purchased some chives because I plan on sprinkling them on my breakfast potatoes... just because I can! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...