Posted by Lyndi
I say we all should heartily thank these household grillin’ staples: hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, deviled eggs, and baked beans. Thank them for their steadfast loyalty to be at our beck and call from May until the final drawn out dog-days-of-summer ends. Who works harder in the summertime than these family friends? We salute you.
While shopping at Walmart the other day, I was happy to discover that Bush’s new line of Grillin’ Beans is on rollback for only $1.48 a can, the same price as the Bush’s Vegetarian Beans.
Excitedly, I grabbed the two newest Grillin’ Beans seasonal flavors: Texas Ranchero and Black Bean Fiesta. These are not your ordinary vegetarian baked beans. They are packed with bold flavors and really have a depth to them that are unmatched compared to regular Vegetarian option.
Honestly, I never thought that baked beans could be more than just a pretty hot dog and hamburger side dish.
So, I decided to challenge myself to create something different using the Black Bean Fiesta flavor. Intrigued by the description of “black beans simmered in a zesty chipotle sauce with crisp corn and red peppers,” I wanted to be creative, to think out side the hotdog bun, and see if I could come up with something easy and delicious that I would want to share with others! So I did.
Serves 6 happy people
· Pam Spray
· 2 Yukon Gold potatoes (trust me, Yukon Golds perfectly compliment this dish)
· 1 small white onion
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· salt and pepper
· 5 eggs
· 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
· 1 ½ cups of Bush’s Grillin Beans Black Bean Fiesta (don’t drain! You’ll want to keep these flavors!)
· ½ cup shredded Mexican blended cheese
· 6 tablespoons of salsa
1. Grease 6 ramekins using Pam spray and set aside.
2. Peel potatoes and thinly slice. Chop onions.
3. Heat skillet on stove with olive oil and sauté potatoes, onion, an garlic over medium heat until soft. Approximately 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Since it is summertime, I decided to really kick it up a notch! I turned on my gas grill to 400 degrees and placed my ramekins in a grill basket and set aside.
5. In a bowl, whisk eggs and add a dash or salt and pepper.
6. Fold in potatoes with eggs. Folding potatoes does a good job of coating with the eggs and adds height to your frittata.
7. Fold in beans with egg and potatoes.
8. Pour evenly into ramekins. I actually used a soupspoon so I could be very even with the potato and bean filling.
9. Top with shredded cheese and one tablespoon of salsa for each ramekin. See how pretty it looks!
10. Last step: If baking: Bake in preheated oven for 15-25 minutes, or until the eggs have set. If grilling: Keep an eye on it and grill for approximately 15 minutes, or until the eggs have set.
Did you also know that Bush’s has a recipe link on their web page dedicated entirely to Grillin’ Beans? Click here for recipes such as Grilled Half Chicken with Sweet Jalapeno Pepper Glaze, Cowboy Cumin Kebobs with Onions and Baby Peppers, and Grilled Rib Eye Steaks with Roquefort Butter. Oh wow, these all sound wonderful!
Also check out shewearsmanyhats and her “bodacious bean recipes using beans” and also mommyskitchen who shows us how to make white bean banana bread and even black bean brownies! Talk about getting creative with beans!
And now I have a special treat…
The first ten lucky readers who leave a comment will each receive one (1) free Bush’s Grillin’ Bean coupon ($3.50 estimated retail value, each)!
This means ten of you can try this product for free!
10 lucky winners will receive a Bush’s Grillin’ Beans free can coupon (1 per person, $3.50 estimated retail value).
Contest officially ends when ten people have entered their comments.
Leave me a comment using the comment entry form below, preferably with your twitter or blog name to make it easy to contact you if you win.
The comment is up to you: Which one of the Bush’s Grillin’ Bean recipes would you like to try? Or, what is your favorite canned bean “non-side” dish? Or, did you check out shewearsmanyhats or mommyskitchen? Which recipe would you like to try of theirs? Also, I wouldn’t blush too much if you thought my Fiesta Frittata’s sounded delish. All in all, I am looking forward to hearing what you have to say! Good luck!
No purchase necessary to enter. Contest void where prohibited. Contest open to members who are 18 years or older. Contest open only to residents in the continental US, whether or not if you live in Northwest Arkansas.
This giveaway comes courtesy of the fine folks at Bush Brothers via my sister-in-law, who just happens to work for them! I was not given any money or products for this review, recipe or giveaway! I was given the free coupons to pass along to you… and an additional giveaway bundle that I will be posting soon! Keep tuned!
Tip: If you enter using the Name/URL option, you can leave the URL blank. The Blogger format can be a little confusing! See the “How to leave a comment (please do!)” link at the top of this page for step-by-step instructions!