Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Yes, you CAN have a July tomato experience in March!




Posted by Lyndi

You know the July tomato experience I am talking about.  The hedonistic properties of touch, taste, see, smell, and savor.  That enveloping gorgeous scent of a perfect tomato which can be both juicy yet firm.  Sweet yet savory.  Red yet brown.

What.  What?  Did I just say brown?

Indeed I did.  A beautiful deep brown speckled with bits of dark green and brilliant red.

Gorgeous.

I was so jazzed yesterday to discover that Sams Club brought back their special buy of Kumato brown tomatoes! I jumped all over these a month ago and meant to tell you about them… except they were all gone by the next day.  So what’s a girl to do?  Blab on and on about my discovery while all the time KNOWING that you couldn’t buy them for yourself?  No way.  I’ve got morals.  You don’t mess with the tomato.  You don’t lift up people’s expectations and then dash their hopes and dreams to the ground.

Oh I asked.  I begged and pleaded with the produce folks to plllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssseeeeeee bring back the brown tomatoes.  No can do, they said.  It was a home office special buy.

Sigh.

So imagine my EXTREME DELIGHT to fixate on those brown babies once again!  So hurry, hurry, hurry and scamper on over to Sams Club so you won’t miss out.  Don’t have a Sams Club membership?  Ask for a 1-day pass, that’ll do ya.

Okay, let’s talk details.



·       Brand is kumato™ simply unique BROWN tomato™
·       Grown by the Mastronardi Family from Canada
·       Mastronardi Produce built the first commercial greenhouse in North America in the 1940’s
·       Family owned for 4 generations
·       $5.78 for package of 10
·       Look for them in produce section with all the other packages of tomatoes
·       If you’re shopping at the Bentonville Sams Club, ask for Gustavo.  He’ll let you sample one!


And last but not least… are you curious on how to prepare these little gems?

You know that I am a simple girl. 

To best bring out the flavor and highlight the captured July-in-March experience, simply slice the tomatoes and arrange on a plate.  Then with a twist of the wrist, grind your cracked pepper and toss a little sea salt into the mix.  You’re done. 

Want to add a little extra?  

In a prep bowl, pour two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and one teaspoon of balsamic vinegar.  Instead of sprinkling the tomatoes with the salt and pepper, add them to the oil and vinegar mix.  Whisk, taste and now lovingly pour the vinaigrette over your tomatoes.  Let sit and mellow before enjoying.

Don’t forget:  Never, never, never, never, never, NEVER place tomatoes in the refrigerator.  It will get mealy and mealy = mushy.  And mushy = a very very bad day.

So if you want to have a beautiful day today, enjoy a brown tomato!

Cheers!

8 comments:

  1. Ok, Ms. Lyndi, while we're talking veggies.......I have one that I would love some more info on :) ZOOMING ZUCCHINI ( I think that's what it's called).....When sliced, looks like stars, it's green, a little "woodsy" flavor, reminds me of Okra, but actually a squash........YES, you have had them :) :) Granny & Grandpa brought some out of their garden last summer! Would love to know how to cook these babies to get the biggest and best flavor out of them and if there is a way to get that "woodsy" taste gone :)
    Cheers,
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to find Gustavo tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ms. Rachelle!

    I've never heard of ZOOMING ZUCCHINI, so I had to do a google search. Photos are all over the place. Is it a light green? Is it small like Okra? I am completely intrigued! Which means that you have to give me a sample if Granny & Grandpa bring them to you again this year. Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Lori! Happy sampling!!!! Tell me how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Everyone... just got a tweet from Amy at www.oureverydaydinners.com who said that the Sams Club in Fayetteville does NOT have the brown tomatoes. :( Apparently they have the little orange tomatoes though (still yummy).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to grow these in my garden this summer! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Everyone... I went to the Fayetteville Sams Club today and YES, they DO have the brown tomatoes!! But hurry, there isn't many of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meigan, you're going to have to tell me how it comes out! Also, send pix of your garden this summer!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...