Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A beet salad to beat all salads.

beets avocado blue cheese apple pear salad Chat Noir beet salad


** Update:  I have since substituted pears for the apples and it notches up the pow! factor **

Mmmm, beets.

You’ve had them before, right?  No, No, I am not talking about the pickled beets that are gratuitously placed on a salad bar or buffet lane.

I am talking roasted beets.  Boiled beets.  Beets cooked overnight in a slowcooker.

Beets that bring out the warmth and depth of all things Fall.

Mmmm, see what I mean?

I’m sorry… did you just say that you’ve never had a beet experience like that?

You’re in for a treat. 

A beet treat.

Yesterday I mentioned how the foods and treats I marveled, ooohed and awhhhed over in travel this year can be easily be replicated. 

Let’s start with the over-the-top flavor explosion experience I encountered at an Upper East Side French bistro in New York City called Chat Noir Bistro.  Dennis and I were having an it-is-our-last-night-so-let’s-go-for-it-foodie-dinner, and this charming slip of a cozy and intimate bistro was just the ticket. 



I wanted to try everything different, you know what I mean, something that I wouldn’t normally have in my oh-so-normal life.

And there it was, on the menu.  Roasted beet salad.



It arrived.  My oh my!  Wasn’t this an interesting dish to behold?



And then, the first bite.  And the next bite.  And the next bite.  It was gone faster than I can write out the next bite.

Gone. Devoured.  Evaporated.

Pure flavor explosion!

Our maitre ‘d was tickled pink over our discovery!  He excitedly told me that he goes home and makes it for himself at night.  And he told me how to make it for myself.

Yeah, it’s that easy to make.

And yeah, it’s that good.

So, thanks to Mr. French Bistro himself, you and I have a new foodie recipe that will impress, delight, and surprise your family and guests.

Chat Noir Bistro’s Roasted Beet Salad
Serves 4

Ingredients

1 apple
1 avocado
1 red beet
1 tablespoon blue cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
Fine sea salt

Instructions

1.     Boil water in pot on stove and drop in red beet, skin on.  This should take about 30 minutes.  Insert a knife into the flesh until it easily pushes through.  Side note, You may want to crock pot overnight multiple beets or boil multiple beets so you can have some on hand… for tomorrow night when you will want to eat this again.
2.     Remove beets from water.  Wearing your dishwashing gloves, remove skin.  It will easily come off but yes, it will be messy.  Have paper towels close by.
3.     It is up to you at this point.  I like to put my beets in the fridge and have them cooled for a bit.
4.     Dice up beet and put in bowl.  (Make sure it is a bowl that won’t stain.)
5.     Peel and dice up apple and add to bowl.
6.     Peel and dice up avocado and add to bowl.
7.     Add blue cheese.
8.     Add olive oil.
9.     Toss and add salt to taste.
10.   Dish into bowls or make a beautiful presentation like the Chat Noir Bistro delivered.  Next time I’ve got to do that!

What do you think?  Easy, right?

You may also find yourself making this treat… just for yourself.

Because you can. 

Eat well, my friends.  Eat well.

Lyndi

6 comments:

  1. I don't like beets Lyndi, but this looks really good! I know it seems wrong for a vegetarian to be so picky, but you can't like what you don't like, right? May try this without the beets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picky, smicky, who cares?! If you don't like something, you don't! I personally can't STAND runny eggs or wiggly egg whites. It is what it is! :)

    Ooooo, without the beets still might be delish. Or, oddly missing some depth. I wonder if a turnip would be a good substitution? Not as pretty a presentation.

    Let me know Randy!!

    Lyndi

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!
    This looks amazing! I adore beets in any form but roasted is my favorite. I will definitely be making this in the future.
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I hope you do!! It will blow you away? The combination mixture is intriguing and you will spend your first few bites totally mesmerized!

    :)

    This would be a fun Thanksgiving side dish, too!

    Lyndi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making this next week. Just pinned it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool, Amy! I'll look for it!! :)

    Lyndi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...